‘The Blackheath Hockey Club’
According to the book “Hockey” written in 1899 by P.A. Robson and J. Nicholson-Smith:- “This club was formed not later than the year 1840. Members are still living who were playing at that date”
This fact was endorsed by Neville Miroy in “The History of Hockey” published by Lifeline Ltd for the Hockey Association Centenary in 1986. Miroy states:- “The first Hockey Club was undoubtedly Blackheath”.
The oldest record in The Club’s possession is the minute book of 1861 which refers to the subscription being 7/6 and the retiring secretary Mr.R.O’Neill. In the early days, Blackheath Hockey and Football (Rugby) were one club and they did not become separate entities until 1864.
The Club was founded by the Old Boys of Blackheath Proprietary School and the School Bell is now used to summon the Members to dine at the Annual Dinner.
Since 1952 the Club has been based at the current location in Rubens Street, which was purchased in time for The Club’s Centenary in 1961 when the Guests included Bernard Duke of Norfolk and Lord Louis Mountbatten.
During the years since then, Blackheath Hockey Club has been one of the Borough’s leading sports clubs, having been runners up in the National Club Hockey Championship in both the 1983/84 and 1984/85 seasons; winners of the National Indoor Hockey Club Championship in 1976/77; and winners of The Kent Cup in 1970, 1977, 1983, 1984; Kent Under 16 Champions 1990; and Kent Veterans Cup in 1995. The Kent/Sussex Premiership was won in the seasons 1997/98 and 2004/5.
Today the Club is part of a thriving sports club operating six mens Saturday teams, as well as regular Sunday and festival teams and youth teams. Added to that, four ladies sides are now playing following the formation of Blackheath Ladies Hockey Club in 1982. The combined club with its mens and ladies hockey, and cricket sections currently has a playing membership approaching 300, plus more than 100 honorary members.